A Ragamuffin's Journey

21 February 2006

The death of Stephen Blackpool

I thought I'd try out the feature that allows me to post via email by quoting from the latest Dickens novel I just finished, Hard Times. I found it a wonderful book, one that I began while on a 2-day business trip at the end of January. It's typical Dicken, at times melancholy, ironic, humerous, and loaded with the most wonderful passages and quotes. So I'll begin with this, and hope it works. I won't be able to modify or delete it until later tonight if it gets garbled in translation...hehehe.

The bearers being now ready to carry him away, and the surgeon being anxious for his removal, those who had torches or lanterns, prepared to go in front of the litter. Before it was raised, and while they were arranging how to go, he said to Rachael, looking upwards at the star:

“Often as I coom to myseln, and found it shinin on me down there in my trouble, I thowt it were the star as guided to Our Saviour’s home. I awmust think it be the very star!”

They lifted him up, and he was overjoyed to find that they were about to take him in the direction whither the star seemed to him to lead.

“Rachael, beloved lass! Don’t let go my hand. We may walk together t’night, my dear!”

“I will hold thy hand, and keep beside thee, Stephen, all the way.”

“Bless thee! Will soombody be pleased to coover my face!”

They carried him very gently along the fields, and down the lanes, and over the wide landscape; Rachael always holding the hand in hers. Very few whispers broke the mournful silence. It was soon a funeral procession. The star had shown him where to find the God of the poor; and through humility, and sorrow, and forgiveness, he had gone to his Redeemer’s rest.

Jeff 9:03 AM

1 Comments:

Good heavens..how touching.. for the living, nothing is sadder than holding another's hand unto death.. for the die-r, nothing is happier. And now I hope, as I ought not admit, that someone was holding St. Francis' hand..

Add a comment